28 December, 2009

WHY MEEEEE???

Ok, people keep asking me to post a simple blurb on WHY?
Now, everyone has their unique motivations and that is exactly why we are curious, there are so many different reasons...why deprive yourself of steaming, sticky cinnamon buns and that ever-present cheese and crackers? Maybe because it just makes me more hungry (among other things)...and I HATE being hungry.

In an effort to organize this posting, I have come up with my top five reasons (not in any particular order) why I eat paleo:
1. Athletic Performance; WHY IS THE PALEO DIET ERGOGENIC?

Source: The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel

  • Increased intake of branched chain amino acids (BCAA). Benefits muscle development and anabolic function. Also counteracts immunosuppression common in endurance athletes following extensive exercise.
  • Decreased omega-6:omega-3 ratio. Reduces tissue inflammation common to athletes while promoting healing.
  • Alkaline enhancing. Reduces catabolic (breakdown) effect of acidosis on bone and muscle while stimulating muscle protein synthesis.
  • High in trace nutrients. Trace nutrients (vitamins and minerals) are necessary for long-term recovery from exercise and for health. The most nutrient-dense foods are vegetables and seafood. On average, vegetables have nearly twice the nutrient density of grains.
2. Ideal Body Compostion

  • Initial weight loss (I was 150lbs since age 16; now I have weighed around 135lbs for almost a year)
  • Lean muscle, loss of body fat (last time I checked I was at 14 %)
  • Actually, had to go out and buy a bunch of new clothes ($$$ ugh)
3. Sleep, Energy (I lumped these together because they may be interrelated??)

  • Sound, continuous sleep that happens right after my head hits the pillow
  • Alert, energetic mood from the start of my morning...it can be very obnoxious! haha
  • Naturally my body sleeps for 7.5 hours -8.5 hours, I really have to force myself to stay in bed longer.
Straight to the Bar's Scott Bird also had this unexpected benefit:

"After only a few days of Paleo eating, I noted that I was getting markedly better sleep. Factors such as a constant loud noise or a particularly hectic day were having less of an impact, and I awoke feeling refreshed regardless of the starting point. This change alone has major carry-over benefits to other activities throughout the day.

4. Food Choices

  • Believe it or not, I LOVE the unique, crazy combinations I find using paleo only ingredients
  • I am confident that I take in far more nutrients than pre-paleo
  • Never have that insulin spike, sugar craving, hunger feeling! I can't tell you how much I hate that feeling
5. Comfort that I am eating the way I should be eating

  • This is probably the most personal reason. By eating paleo, I know that I am naturally fueling myself.
  • There is something to be said about quantity but I think this should be addressed in another post.
  • I love that it is a lifestyle not a discipline thing...I eat what I need and I am satisfied!

I hope that this post spoke to some people...Your reasons might be completely different. You may want to

1. lower your blood pressure

2. clear up acne.

3. work on your focus/concentration

4. joining the challenge in morale support for a loved one!

Please,

if you have any thoughts about it, suggestions for the blog or questions that need answering...LEAVE A COMMENT :)

No comments:

Post a Comment