11 January, 2010

"Creatively" Stuffed Peppers

OSTRICH.
Do I have your attention?

I went to Giant today to pick up a few things that we couldn't get at Costco on Sunday (garlic, eggs (they were out of the good ones), leeks, and cauliflower...) and I found myself digging in the meat section.

I found OSTRICH. So good for you and I love changing it up with meat choices.

So tonight I wanted to use some of the peppers we bought at Costco and my new ostrich meat.

Ingredients:
one head of organic cauliflower (giant grocery store)
8 oz ostrich (cut into tiny pieces) or just buy ground ostrich
3 TBS sundried tomatoes chopped really finely
1 TBS organic tomato paste
1 TBS lemon
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
10 olives ( i used green olives stuffed with garlic that I got from costco)
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of pinenuts

Create:
In a mixing bowl mash all the ingredients except for the pinenuts, cauliflower and ostrich so that its like a sort of paste then use that paste to cook up the ostrich.

throw the pinenuts in a skillet and roast them on medium (they will start to smell kind of like popcorn but be careful they don't burn) set aside

then cut the leafy stem off then dig out the core a little bit and start breaking off the cauliflower into little pieces. With 1/4 cup of olive oil (i used the rest of our almond oil) and sea salt and pepper toss the cauliflower to get it lightly coated with the oil before putting it on a parchment lined cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. set aside.

Once you have the pinenuts toasted, the cauliflower roasted and the ostrich+tomato/olive paste sauteed you can chop up the pinenuts and cauliflower (I only used about 2/3 of the cauliflower actually) and throw it in with the meat mixture. This is the filling for your peppers.

Then cut the tops of your peppers off (like you would to carve a pumpkin and save the tops). Hollowed the peppers out (I used orange peppers). Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture and place in a crock pot on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours.

I think I got all the steps...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment